The focus of today’s mobility industry is the e-drive. In the 1930/40s, interest was focused on the development of diesel, petroleum and gas engines. Under the leadership of the Graz scientist Hans List, a large number of two-stroke engines, injection processes in diesel engines and gas generators were developed. In 1948, he founded the List engineering office, which gave rise to the Anstalt für Verbrennungsmotoren, AVL – today the world’s largest company for powertrain development, simulation and testing technology, with more than 1,000 patents. List himself has filed some 300 patents as sole inventor.
His publishing activities culminated in the “List series”. The collective work “Die Verbrennungskraftmaschine” (The Internal Combustion Engine) is one of the most important publications on internal combustion engines. In 1980 List was awarded the Erwin Schrödinger Prize of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, and he is a recipient of the Austrian Decoration of Honor for Science and Art. The FH Joanneum presents its own Hans List Award.