With Bruno Kralowetz and a new forging and milling process he developed – the pipe forging machine – terms such as automation and process reliability became commonplace in machine tool manufacturing. Workpieces were now machined by means of four forging tools arranged symmetrically all around. In stainless steel plants, production could be accelerated by a factor of six. Shortly after the market launch, 60 percent of all wagon axles produced worldwide were made on GFM forging machines. Kralowetz had founded GFM, the Gesellschaft für Fertigungstechnik und Maschinenbau, in 1945. His invention of early robotics – forging programs were computer-controlled – also revolutionized the industry and was reflected in 51 patents.
In 1965, Kralowetz, who completed a degree in mechanical engineering in Vienna, was awarded a doctorate in technical sciences honoris causa by the Vienna University of Technology. The city of Steyr awarded him the Ring of Honor in 1975.